My therapist from talkspace.com asked me several times to keep a log of how many hours I sleep and my mood for each day. I’ve successfully done this since March 29th. The pattern I am seeing is that I sleep too much for a night or two and then the following night I hardly sleep at all. My mood over the last couple of weeks has mostly been negative. Descriptors I have used range from “no energy, neutral mood” to “sluggish” to some days where I say I am “feeling better.” It appears that the less I sleep the better I feel.
What this tells me is that it is critical for me to maintain a sleep schedule where I sleep 6-8 hours a night. This is difficult for me because on the nights where I sleep 12+ hours there may actually have been an attempt at waking up earlier but it was promptly ignored.
I feel like I am repeating myself but here are some tips on getting better sleep
- try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends
- be smart about napping – my therapist recommends taking no longer then a 30 minute nap and if I must nap to do so before 4pm
- control your exposure to light (circadian stuff)
- avoid bright screens within 2 hours of your bed time (log off)
- cut down on caffeine
- avoid drinking too many liquids before bed
- try some relaxation techniques
There are many more tips at the website linked above.
Do you have any tips for getting a regular amount of sleep?